On Friday, May 8, the Archdiocese of Cincinnati issued a press release announcing the possible resumption of public Masses to begin as early as May 25, 2020. At that time the Archdiocese issued guidelines for the resumption of public worship. In response to this announcement and these guidelines, a parish response team has been convened. This response team consists of physicians, nurses, and other parishioners and staff, working with Fr. Paul to formulate a parish approach to reopening.
It is impossible to know how long it will be until we return to normal. With that in mind, our working group is in agreement that significant and sustainable modifications will be required in order to celebrate Mass in a manner that does not jeopardize the health of anyone in our Nativity Community. All protocols implemented will be made erring on the side of the protection of life and the health of our community.
Things to be considered before we restart public Mass:
- Maintain effective social distancing (6 feet spacing) before, during and after Mass
- Proper use of face masks
- Vulnerable populations due to age, underlying medical conditions, family members with underlying conditions, or the inability to wear a face mask for the duration of Mass (including small children) should be considered by all.
- The proper and reverent distribution of Holy Communion
- The Music Ministry and concerns regarding the aerosolization and dispersion of viral particles via singing and all musical instrumentation
- Cleaning protocols as well as disinfectant, and hand sanitizer availability
- The need for many parishioners to assist in this implementation
- Calculating the capacity for seating to accommodate social distancing
- Seating in the gym would be even more limited than it is in church and the “cloth gray chairs” create an added issue of cleaning
A more comprehensive communication regarding next steps will be mailed out next week. Please note that an earlier communication on Facebook and the website states that we for sure will not have Mass at Nativity until the bathroom project is complete, possibly in mid-June.
We thank you for your patience as we work through this multifaceted task and look forward to the time when we can once again celebrate together.
COVID-19 Response Team: Dr. Jeanne Corwin, Dr. Ted Gossard, Julie Kulhanek – Nurse, Kathy Michel – Nurse, Dr. Susan Stegman, Dr. Darcey Thornton; Pastoral Staff: Fr. Paul DeLuca, Rudy Gruenke, Sr. Janet Schneider
If you have any questions please contact Rudy Gruenke, Director of Systems & Special Projects at (513) 531-3164 or email@example.com